Thursday Thoughts for Writers~Comparison

Every Thursday this year, I'll share thoughts, tips and inspiration for writers.  I'm certainly not an expert, but am simply seeking personal encouragement in this art and want to share with anyone who's also trying to find their way as a writer.  These short posts will come from books, articles, the Bible, my own thoughts, and other people.  Check back each week and introduce yourself in the comments--I'd love to meet you!

Leslie  
 
Do you ever struggle with comparison?  What truths do you tell yourself to combat the lies in your head?

 And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," that would not make it any less a part of the body.  If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing?  If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell?
1 Corinthians 12: 16-17 (ESV)

It is so easy for writers to compare themselves to others in the world of social media, measuring our worth by our number of "likes" or shares on Facebook.  I have been struggling with this for the past few weeks, comparing myself to an amazing writer I'll call X.  But it was right before I fell asleep the other night that God brought a thought to mind,

The world doesn't need another X, it already has one.  The world needs a Leslie Verner.


And something about that brought me so much peace.  Just as it is silly for an ear to try and be an eye, it is ridiculous to think that my writing would be the same as someone who lives in another part of the world, who has had a very different history from me. 

The world needs you, too, even though you may feel like an insignificant little ear (I certainly do!).  God wants to use you in your corner of the world as you sit typing away on your laptop or scribbling in your journal.  You have a story and perspective to tell that no one else has.  And God wants to use you as an eyewitness to complete the body of writers that are telling His story in the world right now.

Do you ever struggle with comparison?  What truths do you tell yourself to combat the lies in your head?

 

Related Article:
Facebook Envy, by Brianna Dewitt


Previous Post~Eden & Vulnerability: Nakey, No Shame
Next Post~Personal Discoveries in 2015: Friendships, Spirituality & Writing 


Linking up with Thought-Provoking Thursday  and #livefree Thursday and Coffee for Your Heart
and Word Filled Wednesdays 

Do you ever struggle with comparison?  What truths do you tell yourself to combat the lies in your head?

Labels: , ,